February 26, 2011

Meredith, the Optimist

Back in my sunny So Cal, I need to tell you about my friend, and, mentor.

Meredith was the employer that hired me, in what I refer to as my first "Big Girl Job".  She gave me a chance to prove my "chops" as a designer.  That entailed much more than I bargained for.  I did not have a clue.  That, I learned very fast.  I needed that job, and  was determined not to get fired.  I usually left the office in tears, and felt like the failure I was. Then I listened, and learned...alot.

Business is not design school, and anyone who thinks they can sit in an ivory tower and make gorgeous designs, should choose another career
..
Fast forward 2 years, and I was her  protegy.  Fast forward  6 months, and we were both out of a job.  Company closed.  Nice.  She made a deal with the company that bought the label, and we had jobs again!!  Thank you, thank you, Meredith, the ultimate business woman.

We went our separate ways, staying in touch, and became friends. (much, much, more on this later).

Stuff happened, and  fast forward 20@#&#@ years, and here we are again.  Meredith has given me a new start in a business that chews you up and spits you out.  She does not know the meaning of fail, and that  drive and optimism is why success is the only option for  her.  It is not an easy road; not everyone understands what it takes.  There is no doubt in my mind that Meredith will prevail.  It is her faith and belief in herself and those she chooses to work with that will ensure that!!  Yea, that I am 1 of the chosen.  Onward and upward

What a great journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment